.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales From Home

Short stories, prose, and comments jotted down on an occasional basis

Name:
Location: Warrington, United Kingdom

Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Ghost In The Machine

Andrew turned the lock and allowed the front to gently swing inwards. He stood there looking though the doorway into the dark hall, the sunlight illuminating dust particles disturbed by the unexpected breeze blowing into the house, and was overcome.

From behind, Andrew felt a hand touch his side and from his left ear came a voice,
“Are we going in?”
“Sure Helen. No point coming all this way and standing on the doorstep.”

Helen’s hand gently nudged Andrew into the hall. She could tell he was nervous and wondered why. This was Andrew’s childhood home after all, the place he talked of with the fondest memories. Maybe it was the length of time he’d been away that filled him with trepidation, maybe it was the circumstances of his return, or maybe it was something else; something deeper.

The house was quiet but it wasn’t only this that unnerved Andrew. The place was no longer comfortable, it was filled with emptiness and feeling of loss. It was as if the building knew its owners had gone forever and was in mourning for the dead.
Helen too felt coldness in the air and she needed to cut through the atmosphere. Looking down the hall a photograph hanging on one wall caught her eye
“Hey, is that you and your parents?” she asked
“Yes.” Andrew touched the frame, “I was eight years old and we were on holiday in Blackpool. You can see the Tower in the background.”
“Weather looks nice. You told me it always rained in England.”
“Maybe that was an exaggeration. We did have the odd nice day.” Andrew turned to face Helen, “Did I tell you what my dad said about the weather?”
“No, what?” Actually Helen had heard this story several times however she wanted Andrew to tell it again, to encourage him to focus on his childhood.
“My dad used to say that clouds were made in factories and sunny days were caused when the factories shut down for the day. I believed him totally for about six months.”

Andrew stroked the picture frame then lowered his hand. Helen placed his hand in hers and said,
“Your dad was just trying to make sure you had some magic in your life. All kids need that. Promise to do the same with our children?”
“I’ll see what I can do. Ready to start?”
“If you are. “ Helen went back to the door and picked up one of the large cardboard boxes they had left outside. Andrew did the same.

For the next few hours they toured Andrew’s childhood home. Carefully wrapping his parents’ possessions, cataloguing things as they found them. Moving from the living room, to the dining room, to the kitchen, to the spare room. As they journeyed Andrew relived his past, telling stories, bringing each room to life again.

Eventually it came time to enter his parents’ bedroom. Once inside Andrew sat on the edge of the bed. The energy that has sustained him suddenly drained away. Helen entered the room, sat next to him, and placed her arm around his shoulder.
“Feeling drained?” she asked
“A little. It’s just odd being here. I guess I see this as my parents’ secret room. The one place in the house I needed permission to come into.” Andrew sighed, “I should have visited more often you know.”
“Everyone says that.” Helen patted Andrew’s shoulder, “We all think our parents will live forever. I’m sure they knew how you felt about them. It wasn’t necessary to keep reminding them.”
“You’re right. It’s been a tough couple of weeks and maybe it’s all been a bit much for me. I’m glad you’ve been here though. I couldn’t have got through this if you’d been half way around the world.”
“Let’s start with that wardrobe shall we?”

Helen stood and opened the wardrobe door. Several jackets, male and female, hung inside and at the bottom was a wooden crate. Helen pointed at it,
“Any idea what this is?”
“I think,” Andrew stood, “`I think it’s where I used to keep my toys as a kid. Let’s have a closer look.”
Andrew dragged the box from the wardrobe onto the carpet and opened it up. Inside were various items from his childhood kept by his mum and dad. Their attempt to hold onto precious memories. Andrew looked inside and pulled out a spinning top.
“See this?” he held the top out with his hand, “My dad told me this worked because inside were two very small mice. When it spun they ran round really really fast and the reason it toppled over was because they got dizzy”
“I see it even has pictures of mice on the side.” Helen bent down on her knees and looked into the box herself
“Oh yes. You know I don’t think I ever noticed that before.”
Something in the trunk caught Helen’s eye and she pulled out a small wooden box.
“What’s this?” she asked as she passed it onto Andrew.
“It’s my old music box. You wind it up and when you open it it plays a tune. When I was little I used to play it when falling asleep. I found it stopped me getting scared of the dark.”
“And what was your dad’s story of how it worked?”
“Oh it had a ghost in it. The ghost was somebody who’d been naughty as a boy and his punishment was to play the music whenever the box was opened. It was the standard punishment for not doing what you were told my dad said.”
“Shall we see if it still works?”

Helen took the box back from Andrew and began winding it up. Once it was fully wound she opened it up and the two of them sat on the floor as its music played.


Several years later Andrew was sitting with his daughter on his lap. In his hand he held the music box.
“See this box?”
His daughter nodded.
“Well this is a magic box. Inside is a ghost and when the box is opened the ghost plays a tune to make you snile.”
His daughter tried to hold the box in her small hands.
“Who’s the ghost daddy?”
“It’s the ghost of your granddad, who you never knew, and he’s playing because as long as the music plays then you’ll know that, even though he and your gran can’t be with you, they both love you very much and are looking after you from heaven.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home